- Gather up a set of magazines, some of which you feel have affinity with your brand, some of which are total wild cards.
- Establish a question that you’re hoping to answer with this exercise.
- Allow your team to spend time ripping out anything and everything that sparks their imagination, from the profound to the downright silly.
- Ask the team to group the images according to relevance. Do it out loud.
- Harvest their language as you go.
As they spoke about their choices, wild and wonderful language emerged, almost by accident. This language serves as an authentic starting point for the tone of voice.
Creating a tone of voice is something I’m asked about a lot, and this is an interesting approach.